Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dear Diary, You are a journal that I will log my activities in.

Hello everyone! One week into the trip and so far it has been wonderful. You've seen the pictures I've been posting. If everyone likes them I'll keep posting them. We have one more week of language classes. Then the students at Dwudziestoltka (20 year old girl) will transfer to Kredka (crayon). Quick language lesson, when a d is next to a z it makes a j sound. So, the pronunciation of my dorm is dah-vu-jee-stow-latka. Weeee! Back to the point, after class we eat lunch, take a break and then go on an adventure at 3 pm. There is a Japonese garden (pronounced yaponese) here and I'm going to try to make it the next one, but I don't know yet. Once we move, our classes will start and there won't be as much time to do things. Most of the other students are here working on their Master's degrees and are on scholarships. It is important that they work hard. There are two other girls from America and they are both from N.C. They will be my partners in crime because it isn't as important for us to get good grades.

All the international students are working on breaking through cultural barriers to make friends. It was a little lonely at first, but everyone is coming out of their shells now. One week feels like a really long time here. I've been trying to make friends with the locals, but they really want to talk to me about why I came here. I've grown weary of explaining it to them. Polish people can't believe that anyone would want to come here. Honestly, it's incredible and inexpensive.

Today I'm feeling the sting of being abroad. I miss the comfort of my possessions and the familiarity of friends/family. There are no televisions, you have to listen to music you don't like, you're never really alone, but it's totally worth it. I think that it's because we stayed out until 5 in the morning two nights in a row. Everyone gets ready and meets in front of the dorm. We all ride the tram together to the city square and then find a club to dance in. The dancing is new for me. The laser lights make me feel disoriented, and people take themselves so seriously on the dance floor I can't help but laugh at them.

We went to this famous club called "No Name" last night. There were three dance floors. One was outside with sand and a strange mix of American music. The two downstairs were super dance parties. It was alright, but not my scene so Teresa and I left. We found a beautiful club that was decorated like the 1920s and we met some Polish guy there. He was cool and ran some events around town and invited us to them. Hopefully that will work out so I can stop talking about why I'm in Poland and move on to more indepth conversation. I hate all the small talk I'm subjecting myself to here.

Anyway, I could talk forever about the mundane details of what I'm doing, but I won't. It's no mystery that I love to talk about the details. I'll try to keep future posts brief. Speaking of typical Marlowe behavior, please forgive the bad grammar. I'm going to go lay down and watch Flight of the Conchords and nurse my hang-over. Stay tuned for further intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment