Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bob's story....


This is my uncle, Bob Huffman (pictured with his lovely wife and daughters). This is his story in reference to "I Love Fanta!":

I made the same mistake too, should have left Bass Barbershop in Clarksville, Virginia when I realized the barber must have lived through the Civil War and all the hang-arounders in the shop were "slow" and "closely related" if you get my drift. The haircut started off badly when he put the neck tissue & cover cloth on sooooo tight I thought he was trying to kill me, my face turned as red as the leather on the barber chair. His dull scissors & shaky hands soon began pulling and yanking out my hair but the worst was yet to be. I was terrified to hear the sound of metal slapping a leather strap, yep, he was yielding a straight razor! Before I could move he had it to the back of my neck, thankfully the scissors were much sharper than the straight razor, he just pulled & scraped all the hair out of the back of my neck. My relief was short lived when he slapped tonic across the area he just "shaved" causing a burn I'll never forget. My ordeal over, I got up, paid & tipped him which got the unwanted attention of everyone in the shop, guess they had never seen tip before, I was setting a really bad precedent and their eyes told me so. Walking down the streets of Clarksville, I saw my reflection in the old wavy glass of the shop windows and thought this isn't that bad. Entering the ladies clothing store I was quickly corrected by the immediate laughter I received from my family and the shopkeeper they were talking to. The shop keeper KNEW where I had been and she informed me, "none of the men in town go to Bass, they all use the beauty parlor for their haircuts". Monday morning I was back in my usual barber's chair getting a real haircut.

3 comments:

  1. Clarksville is the town next to the lake house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am teaching today at my Community College. We are studying the beginnings of Veteran's Day and honoring our veterans. Many other countries honor their veterans on Nov. 11th. I believe, however, that Nov. 11th is Poland's Independence Day. Is this correct? If so, what are some of the activities?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never forget the look on his face when he came back to the house after that hair cut. Priceless.. you would think with all the photographers in the family we would have a camera to capture that moment.. sadly it was not to be..

    I MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete