Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I don't like this anymore.

I want a job. Where is my money? My trip was fun. I can't talk about it yet. The absence of my money has depressed me. I need you all to call me and tell me I'm special, and remind me that it is all worth it.

I also need to be encouraged to continue to learn Polish. I hate it. Today we learned the verb- to want, chceść. Let me type the sounds of it and then you can all practice it. H-S-eshcht, but don't emphasis the t. Once you get that right you can practice this sentence. Ja chcę książkę [Ya H-S-ewyn ka-sh-aown-szh(like vision)-keywn. I want a book. That is the easiest conjugation. Now, add in all this other bullshit that never makes any sense because they teach you the normal version and then all your examples are irregular. And! They talk to you constantly in Polish, but remember that all you know are verbs because they don't teach you nouns. Seriously, what is going on? I have to take a test on this. It is a retarded way to learn a language.

I have a suggestion. Why not teach us two or three verbs at a time, and then nouns that are related? That way we can logically create a sentence. If the language is difficult this might make it more understandable. That's not all. I have another suggestion. Why don't we teach a rule of grammar and then use it in examples? Once the students learn the rule they can move onto the exceptions to the rule.

My homework for the weekend is to write a paragraph about what I'm going to do next year because we are practicing future tense. What? How about an assignment on what I'm going to do tomorrow? Here is how this paragraph will sound in English translation from the Polish words I know:

Next year, I will sleep. I will drink a beer. I will eat. I will read a newspaper. I will study. I will buy food.

How stupid is that?! Can we please have a shred of organization?

At 3 pm, the administration came to my room and told Teresa and I that we had to move, today. We've been asking them when we would have to move for the last two weeks, because we knew it was coming and we wanted to plan. However, they don't care about us having things to do and they decided to give us zero warning (and half a day). I was so proud of Teresa because she just looked at the girl and told her no. She said, "That's not good enough." She explained what she had to do and that she would be happy to move Monday, but not today. The girl told her that it was necessary, and she said, "Or what?" It was awesome. Then the woman looked at me like she couldn't believe I let Teresa talk to her like that. I just shrugged my shoulders because Teresa was right. Our flat mates were out and it is weird to pack up their shit. And that is exactly what they wanted us to do. Pack up our flatmates shit and carry all of it up 10 floors. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I have no problem moving because the rooms are nicer, but I'm not moving other people's stuff.

All I'm screaming is that I'm ready to get into a country that makes some sense. Then I'll put all these good ideas to work and make money instead of spending it all.

2 comments:

  1. Hey mar-mar, on the one hand being able to speak a foreign language even just a bit can be cool while you're there but honestly unless you're taking like 10 hours or more a week and speaking it a lot you're not going to learn that much in a year (I forget. Are you staying a year? Even less if your staying 6 months) Anyhows you decide whether it's interesting enough that you want to really try otherwise I'd suggest you not worry about it, except maybe the grade part. Are you ever going to use Polish again, really? Use those brain cells for drinking instead. Words of wisdom from your elders, yo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm staying two more months. The thing is I live in Poland. They speak and write in Polish. Only the younger people speak English, and you don't see them that often. Being able to say you want something is important. That way I can stop being the asshole that is frantically pointing at things saying, "please, please, please." It's just hard and I'm being a baby. Thanks for the encouragement. I will seriously consider those words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete