Thursday, December 24, 2009

Once Again!

Here we are...once again in the holiday of all holidays. The great time to give from your heart and reflect on the closing year. I will spend my holidays reflecting constantly, and trying to forgive myself for my own harsh criticism. When I'm not doing that, I will be placing you all on a pedestal and kicking myself for not being more like you. At least for not living up to my own potential to make you all proud of me. Honestly, it's a good thing. I know that really you are all proud of me no matter what I do, but this is how I thrive. By doing so, I am busily compiling a list of resolutions for the following year. It should go something like this:

1. Quit smoking
2. Quit hoarding
3. Tone down my clothing
4. Stop picking on people
5. Work out more often
6. Eat better
7. Be cooler
8. Be more creative
9. Be more assertive
ETC.

Typical things that you would expect to be on a list of this nature. I believe that if I can accomplish at least the top three I will be a success. In the coming days I'm going to pick 3 things to get rid of each day until New Years Eve. I packed a retarded amount of shit when I came here. Daily, I ask myself, "What were you thinking?" And I know what I was thinking. "Maybe." Well, no more "maybe" for this baby. It's all yes or no. Life is just a process of acquiring a bunch of stuff that we all think we need, but don't. It's not our fault. I blame advertising. It's ever so subtle in insisting that we all could be just a little bit better if we owned whatever product they are pushing. I for one am a serious victim of this. Whenever I feel down I try to buy my way out of the problem instead of directly addressing it. I'm not sure that I will ever be able to escape the hold advertising has on my mind. But, I have a lot of hope that I've undone some of my subconscious impulses by living here in Poland. Obviously the signs can't hurt me here because I can't read them. Perhaps I can take this back with me to the U.S. and hold on to it in an effort to actually invest in something.

I think a fantastic example of this subliminal fuckery is seen during the shopping season. I watched my roommate try on all the scarves she bought as gifts and insist that she actually needed one too. (Xuane, I mean this in the most loving way. That green scarf looks great on you.) I've done the same thing. Go shopping and buy presents for myself instead of others, but why? I don't need those things. I just want them. I want them so badly that I won't even wait to see if someone else got them as a present for me. It's terrible. I'm going to add this to my resolution list, and I encourage you all to do the same thing. I know that Xuane and I are not the only ones.

Anyway, all of this was just an introduction for me to put up some Christmas links for you all to enjoy when you're spending time together without me. Don't cry for me, North Carolina. I'm a big girl and I'm learning to appreciate the important things in life. Look forward to an extremely educational Christmas Bonanza on Poland culture tomorrow. Enjoy the links and your figgy pudding. Wishing you the Happiest of Holidays from my little Christmas heart!

http://www.viceland.com/wp/2009/12/meet-the-sciortinos/

http://www.akqa.com/happychristmas/

http://blog.elfster.com/2009/12/16/homemade-snow-globes-brighten-any-home/

No comments:

Post a Comment