Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Follow me!

Yay! I have 4 followers! I would like to take this time to thank you all for electing me team leader. I will do my best to take you to the most extreme limits of blogging. I promise to be a gentler, more rational, and more audacious writer than other bloggers that have come before me. You will not regret this.

Today was the Polish independence day. Mom, I saw your question, "What do they do to celebrate?" The answer is: not much. They had a parade this morning, but it was very small. Some people hung flags, and there were people passing out balloons in the town square. Apparently, the Polish people aren't used to celebrating their nationalism like the United States does. I would imagine that if the United States had been erased from the map three times we might find it hard to feel as much pride and devotion to the symbols that represent our "freedom". Everyone got the day off, and that was nice.

I skipped the parade, and made breakfast for my flatmates. I have been gone the last three weekends so it was nice to spend quality time together. Then we met some of the other international students and a few Polish students in the main square for a scavenger hunt. We had to walk around and see who could find the most dwarfs. We won with 38. Our first place prize was a bottle of vodka. I'm pretty sure that none of us really cared about the vodka. We just wanted to feel like winners. It wasn't very nice weather, but it was nice to walk around the city.

Lately, I've been staying around the dorm to save money. It's so boring. Luckily, I met a nice Turkish girl who studied here last year. Over the summer she lived in Boone and just returned to finish her University career. She knows heaps about the city, and I'm looking forward to her taking me out of the monotonous life that I've grown to hate here. I'm also trying to get a job. I can't express to you how much time I have free here. I have no classes until next Tuesday. I know that I wanted to grow as a person, and I promise that I am. I just think that if I spend too much time thinking about things I'm bound to over think them and thus drive myself crazy.

Today also marks the end of my second month. It's easy. No, not really. I think that I've adjusted, and some ways I have, but I can never fully adjust because it's all so temporary. Plus, the multiple levels of cultural adjustment are mind boggling. I couldn't even fathom moving all over the world, or giving up everything to move somewhere and help other people. This is kind of personal, but I think it's very interesting. You see, I've always thought myself to be an unselfish person, but now I think it's not true. I find myself longing for my things. These objects which I acquire at an alarming rate. Also, I feel as if my friends and family also belong to me. You all feel like possessions that I want to protect. I never thought about it this way before, but you all define me. Here, what am I without you? What am I without my things? I'm still me, but a disjointed self. I can't really speak about you to my friends here because there is no tangible connection. I can see they become bored and can't relate. Yet, my friends here and I are so close because this transition is so difficult. The honesty that our behavior exudes is incredible. There is so much wonder for what this world holds for us. Together we embrace it to whatever extent we can afford.

I can remember waiting to come here. Looking out of my apartment window, I would wonder what it would be like to look out of my dorm window for the first time in Poland. When I got here the first thing I did was look out the dorm window, and I remember thinking nothing. Just staring in disbelief. As if I was looking at the world through new eyes. Now, I find myself standing on my balcony wondering the same things about the U.S. What will it be like when I come home? It's strange, but I want to be the same person for you, and yet I fear that I might be a stranger. I won't think about it anymore. Happy independence Poland, and I love you America!

No comments:

Post a Comment